Before You Leave:
Give Address Change to:
- Post Office
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards
- Subscriptions (Notice requires several weeks)
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city
- Arrange credit references
- Notify company of new location for coverage (Life, Health, Fire and Auto)
- Gas, Light, Water, Telephone, Fuel
- Get refunds on any deposits made
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions, and Histories:
- Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals
- Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
Don’t Forget To:
- Empty freezer
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator (Place charcoal to dispel odors)
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving (Have them wrapped for moving)
- Check with your moving counselor:
- Insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment
On Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or traveler’s checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in the new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets – they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Double-check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with the REALTOR® or a neighbor.
At Your New Address:
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, and water.
- Check pilot light on stove, water heater, incinerator, and furnace.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Register car within five days after arrival in state, or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, etc.